Last year in High School, we had to write essays for almost all of our tests in English class. This was to get us ready for the AP exam at the end of the year. At first it was hard to grasp the idea of writing an entire essay in one class period, and it counted for a grade. After a few essay exams, I started to see myself get into a little routine. First, I would read the prompt (or article) and figure out what it is really asking. Then I make a few notes, and sometimes a short outline. After that, I just start writing until i'm finished with what I need to say.
Now that we are doing this is college, i'm starting to see that its important to add in some of the techniques we learned in class. For example, today when we had our essay in class, I used summary and response to write my paper. Its not too difficult to write in one class period, as long as you understand what is being asked.
Yes, that's really important to know what is being asked of you and to understand what you need to write about. You can waste a lot of time thinking and not actually have anything written down at the end of the class period. I've thankfully never has to do something like this, I don't know why but my teachers never assigned it.
ReplyDelete