Wednesday, November 17, 2010

writing and literacy in my family

Going back to when I was young, I can remember reading a story with my mom before bed every night. I loved hearing a story, and had to see all of the pictures too. My siblings also have that tradition to this day. It is a great way to get exposed to words and literature, and i'm sure my positive experiences at a young age contribute to my writing/reading abilites today. Everyone in my family can read and write, so I never thought it was an option to be illiterate. It still suprises me how some people can make it through live without the ability to read or write. It is very important to me, and I know my family is the reason why.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't mind my asking, what was the name of the book? I always (according to my mother) had a fondness of "Harold and the Purple Crayon". Also, I completely agree, there is a whole world that is waiting for you when you possess the ability to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool having your family to help you along like that. I never quite got into the bedtime story thing but my family helped me learn to rread and write anyways. I also don't know how people make it through life without being able to read and write, it baffles me.

    ReplyDelete