Reading is very important. Signs, menus, books, labels- all require reading skills. I would feel very lost in another foreign country, where all the words are in another language. Illiterate people probably feel the same way. It is important to know how to read, at least one language. This way, you can understand how to react.
Writing is also very important. Office reports, notes, letters, or school work. These all require the ability to write. It can be embarrassing if you miss-spell a common word or can't write a simple sentence.
Catherine, you are exactly correct in your statement about being in a foreign country. I have had that experience of being in Europe for a awhile and if it wasn't for the four years of French that I had taken, we would have really struggled to get to our next destination. As far as your comment about
ReplyDeleteoffice reports,notes,letters, etc... I was a land surveyor for 11 years and everyday I took field notes and had to write daily reports. I feel very fortunate to be able to read and write, there are people in this world who have the day to day battle with just learning how to read write.
I can totally understand with the foreign language. I took spanish for 2 years in high school. I used to work at Subway and one day, a guy came in who could barely speak english, but spoke alot of spanish. He had someone with him who spoke english for him, but thanks to that high school class, i understood his order and had a little conversation with him.
ReplyDeleteYou are right. I am taking a spanish class now to help me in my career and life. The need to speak and read other languages is vital. Some places in the U.S. I have been unable to read the signs in store windows.
ReplyDelete